Friday 30 March 2012

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

When I began the task I used scanners to scan in the drafts of my digipack cover , magazine advertisement  and music video storyboard which I had sketched out to gain a rough idea of what I wanted the final products to look like. I could then pass this onto my peers and receive feedback upon it with ease which I could scan in also and log on my blog.
When I began learning how to use the media equipment I went out and tried using the
Sony HVR A1E camera, I shot some short clips and learnt the purpose of all the buttons, how to zoom in, how to take images/videos and then I loaded this onto a computer which I had a look at. Once I’d reviewed the footage I opened it with Photoshop premier and added effects such as reverse timing and black and white. Following this I felt more comfortable with using the camera and more prepared for shooting the main task.
Next I took images of my model for the digipack and magazine advertisement and I used my knowledge/experience from A2 to take a variety of photographs using zoom and close up to create a professional selection of images suitable for their purpose, the images needed to be clear and professional in order to replicate my similar products and appeal to the target audience. I used a tripod to make sure that the height was an even eye-level height and to avoid blurring. The cameras/ umbrellas were helpful in reflecting enough light on the models face from a central angle. Once the images were taken I opened them onto photo shop and adjusted the preset sizes so it was suitable for a digipack used the burn tool to darken her make-up and background, the dodge tool to brighten her eyes and the airbrush tool to smooth out blemishes which all worked to create a more attractive, appealing image. I used the lasso tool to move parts of the image closer together, crop out parts that I didn’t need and add in graphics that I did need, including the star brush that I downloaded enabling me to place star graphics onto the original image for the CD cover.
Once the images were created, I had to add in text for the CD cover name and song titles seen on the back cover and the title/information seen on the magazine advertisment using the text tool. Photoshop enabled me to change the colour, size and font style of this text according to its importance and purpose. The magazine advertisement required a similar process of adjusting the presets to create a suitable sized format for the genre, and I used the same large white italic font I have used throughout all the products in order to maintain continuity. Whilst creating the music video we placed the camera onto a tripod in order to create a polished finish which looked professional, minus the hand-shaking which is often inevitable from hand-held camera work. I adjusted the focus switching back and forth to create a blurred effect when the image of the candles first appears, then I turned the lense so that the focus became clearer as the music began. I played the music video soundtrack in the background as my actress mimed the words, then later when I uploaded the video onto adobe premiere I muted the audio in the background and placed the official version of the song over it by dragging it onto the timeline and placing it in line with the video to create a convincing lip sync popular in music videos today.
I had to use the slice tool to chop some bits of the music video out which didn’t need to be used including the take-outs and practice runs. I shot my music video from different angles and settings- for example when the actress is sitting on the floor surrounded by candles I took it from a high angle shot and rotated the camera to ensure that the actress and props were all visible- I also felt that this type of frame created a versatility which surprised the audience and kept them interested. When my model was standing in front of the window a lot of lighting came through which contrasted with darker shots seen previously – this felt important to me because I didn’t want the entire music video to be dark in case it came across as a gloomy toned piece. The shots in front of the window were taken from an eye-level medium shot allowing the audience to connect with the actress and feel the emotion of the narrative through her facial expressions and body language. Another feature in my music video I used was overlapping footage to create a blended effect. I took footage of ink swirling into a glass, and dragged this onto the timeline placing it above the footage of the actress singing- then I adjusted the opacity levels of the footage so that both clips blended into one another creating an interesting ambiguous effect.
The music video finishes with candles being blown out, and the focus is out until the smoke rises and then it focuses in and we can see it clearly, I liked this as it metaphorically represents ideas of the narrative surrounding love. I had to use the slice tool on adobe premiere to remove parts of the clip which I didn’t need and the drag tool to position them together in a way that looked professional/interesting.
Lighting was very important when creating my music video as we switched off all the lights and used candles as props, but very quickly realised we required more lighting, and so had to introduce these. It was important to position the lighting in a way that cast an equal, appropriate amount of light on the model without becoming too overbearing/bright.


No comments:

Post a Comment